Plein Air with Doug Swinton June 1-8, 2018
I’m expecting this workshop to fill up quickly as our maximum is 10 painters.
Tuition includes welcome dinner and orientation, 5 full days of plein air painting with instruction at remote locations only accessible by boat plus 1 free day to relax, paint or tour the island, a final critique and windup celebration, accommodation, buffet breakfast and packed lunches, coffee, tea, water (in studio and on board “Mistral”).
Tuition does not include transportation to and from Pender Island, transportation while on Pender Island, and all other activities.
Depending on the accommodation type the total cost of LeMistral Painting Workshops range from $1,985.00 to 2,385.00 plus 5% GST
Our Maximum number of painters is 10 however we can accommodate up to 12 persons in case partners would like to take a holiday on Pender Island. There are activities such as sea kayaking, sailing, fishing, hiking, whale watching and golfing.
Accompanying Partner = $1000.00
Doug Swinton’s approach to teaching a Plein Air workshop.
5 full days of painting on location. As anyone knows repetition is the key to learning anything. With 5 days we can wash rinse repeat and get down to the nitty gritty of plein air painting. Starting out the same way each time and building upon or successes we will amass a bundle of sketches, studies, and finished paintings. We will do 2-3 paintings a day allowing us to explore all the facets of painting on location.
A few of the things you will learn will include:
• Your equipment.
• Scaling down for ease and travel.
• How to simplify what you’re looking at.
• Taking all that’s in front of you and making it fit on that little canvas. • Choosing what’s paintable.
• Building simple compositions that make for fun paintings.
• Simple colour mixing techniques for making clean colours fast.
• Using fewer colours to achieve harmony in your paintings.
• When your painting is finished.
• The less is more fundamental.
Loads of one on one help along with group and personal demos will keep you on track for a successful week.